As Dr. Zanovello has noted, this part of the project will require a fair amount of research. We need to trace the history of each of the individual works contained in the manuscript. This will include: details of their composition, when available; confirmation of their attributions (this could, I imagine, be done in cooperation with those researching the composers); examination of the sources from which the copyist has drawn these musical selections; and as much as is possible, establishing the genealogy of the various works from their original form through to the present manuscript.
We should also explore the source of any major variations in the pieces from their original form. I am thinking in particular of the German texts for the Le Jeune psalm settings. As I mentioned earlier in class, I have already located the source of the German text - a 1565 translation of the Geneva Psalter from French into German by Ambrosius Lobwasser, published in Leipzig in 1573 – but it would be nice to really nail down at what point these translations were paired with Le Jeune’s compositions.
There is a great deal of work to be done. Perhaps it would be best if we could divide the repertory amongst ourselves and follow each his own leads. We could, of course, share any information that would prove useful to each other's research.
I agree Ryan. I think that divide and conquer is the best strategy. We can throw ideas and get communal help when needed.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to do the pieces that are on the concert since I'm also doing program notes. So that's:
ReplyDeleteRegina coeli Victoria
Psalms 131;72;60;121 le Jeune
En m'oyant di Lasso
Anna, mihi di Lasso
Homo cum in honore di Lasso
Nominativo hic Merula
Vestiva i colli Palestrina/Rognoni
O God be merciful unto us Tye
Susanna un jour Lasso
Adjuva nos Josquin
------------------
Obviously, I am willing to do more, but that will be my first chunk of work.